Marangu Gate (1860m) – Mandara hut (2715m)
Drive from Moshi to the Kilimanjaro National Park gate, takes about 50 minutes. The journey passes through the village of Marangu, which is located on the lower slopes of the mountain
Make sure that you have all your daypack items (containing at least drinking water, your lunch pack and extra clothing) with you, as the porters ascend a lot quicker than the hikers.
Dinner is prepared by our cook and served in a communal dining mess.
Mandara hut (2715m) – Horombo hut (3705m)
beginning Mandara hut the trail passes through a short stretch of forest, skirts the base of the Maundi Crater and then emerges into the transition from rain forest to moorland. It is well worth a short detour to scramble up the rim of the Maundi Crater for your first really impressive view of the Kibo Crater. On a clear day, Kibo will glimmer in the distance, showing off her majestic glaciers in the morning sun.
you will have a hot bowl of washing water, rest; an evening meal and overnight.
Horombo hut (3705m) – Acclimatisation day
Horombo hut is a village of huts perched on a small plateau, with buildings similar to Mandara, but with a total capacity of 120 climbers! Horombo is normally bustling with hikers, guides and porters, with an atmosphere of adventure and excitement. You will meet both ascending and descending hikers here.
This extra day and night at Horombo is for additional acclimatisation. All meals for the day are provided at the hut. Retire to bed early and get a last good night’s rest.
Horombo hut (3705m) – Kibo hut (4730m)
After breakfast continue your ascent into the Alpine desert habitat. From Horombo there are two trails to the “Saddle” (which refers to the area located between the peaks of Mawenzi and Kibo). There is an upper route (right hand fork) and lower route (left hand fork) to choose from. The upper route (right hand fork) should be very familiar, as you will have climbed most of it the previous day (on your acclimatisation hike) towards Mawenzi hut. This section is very stony and eroded.
Once again remember to slow down and drink enough water!Go to bed at round about 19h00 and try to get as much rest and sleep as possible.
Kibo hut (4730m) – Uhuru Peak (5895m) – Horombo hut (3705m)
Wake up around 23h20, and after some tea and biscuits you shuffle off into the night, and this is where the going really gets tough. The first section of the trail consists of a rocky path to the Hans Meyer Cave (5150m), also a good resting spot.
The path then zigzags up to Gillman’s point (5 681m), which is located on the crater rim. Later in the evening you enjoy your last dinner (with soft drinks and beer for sale at the camp office) on the mountain and a well-earned sleep, filled with memories and stirring emotions.
Horombo hut (3705m) – Marangu Gate (1860m)
After breakfast you continue your descent (6 hours), passing the Mandara hut, down to the Marangu gate. It is strongly recommended not to pay your porters any tips until you and all your gear have reached the gate safely.
You now drive back to Moshi for a long overdue hot shower, dinner and celebrations!! Overnight at the Springlands hotel.
- Transport to & from the mountain ex Nairobi (Shuttle Bus)
- Accommodation at Arusha Center Inn Hotel BB (2nights)
- Porters, Guide & Cooks Fee
- Three meals a day whilst on the mountain
- All hut & camping fees
- All park entry fees
- Certificate of achievement
- Tipping to the guide
- Personal climbing gear – clothing’s & rucksack
- Personal travel insurance
- Beverages & mineral water
- Items of personal nature.
- Visa –
MOUNTAIN GEAR CHECK-LIST
- A Rack sack For Your Equipments – To Be Carried By Porters
- Sleeping Bag [Mountain Type],
- Hiking, or Climbing Boots ,Camp Shoes, Trainers Not Sandals
- Socks. 2 Thin Polypro Type For Quick Drying, 4 Thick Wind Pants, Wind shirts
- High Gaiters, Warm Pants [Fleece], Jacket Or Pullover, 1 Rain Parka
- 2 Underwears,1 Hiking Shirt, Long Sleeve, 1 Bandanna
- 1 Warm Hat, 1 Hiking Shorts, Pants ,Balaclava, Fleece Neck Warmer
- Headlamp, Bulb, Batteries, First Aid Kit, Pocketknife ,Sunglasses, Snow
- Goggles ,Water Purification Tablets
- Toiletry Item, Plus Sunblock, Lipsalve And Moisturizer
- Walking Stick